Col. Amy S. Bumgarner is the Commander, Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI), headquartered in Quantico, Virginia. As the AFOSI Commander, Col. Bumgarner derives her independent criminal and counterintelligence investigative and operational authorities directly from the Secretary of the Air Force and executes the Field Operating Agency's mission through a network of more than 3,000 total force Airmen assigned to major Air Force and Space Force installations and a variety of operating locations worldwide. Col. Bumgarner executes the mission of AFOSI under the administrative guidance and oversight of the Inspector General of the Air Force. AFOSI is a federal law enforcement agency with responsibility for conducting criminal investigations, counterintelligence and specialized investigative activities and operations, protective service operations and integrated force protection for the Air Force and Space Force globally. AFOSI is also a combat-ready military criminal investigative organization that provides the Department of the Air Force a wartime capability with counterintelligence support to force protection to find, fix, track and neutralize enemy threats in hostile and contested environments. AFOSI is the Department of the Air Force focal point for working with U.S. and foreign nation law enforcement and security services to provide timely and accurate threat information in all environments.
Colonel Bumgarner was born and raised in Burleson, Texas, and entered the Air Force as a Second Lieutenant in November 1995 after graduating as a Distinguished Graduate from Officer Training School. Her first assignment was to the Air Force Pentagon Communications Agency as a communications-computer officer. She cross-trained into the AFOSI career field in July 1999.
During her time in AFOSI, Colonel Bumgarner has commanded the ICON Center, a region, the Special Investigations Academy, two detachments, deployed twice to Afghanistan, and in 2003 was the first-ever OSI Advisor to the 34th Training Wing where she was a key member of the Academy Response Team, working with victims of sexual assault at the U.S. Air Force Academy. Prior to her current position, Col. Bumgarner served as the Vice Commander, AFOSI, Quantico, Va.
1991 - Bachelor of Arts in Government, Southeastern Louisiana University, La.
1994 - Master of Arts in History, Southeastern Louisiana University, La.
1997 - Master of Arts in Computer Resources and Information Management, Webster University
2002 - Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala. (residence and correspondence)
2005 - Air Command and Staff College (correspondence)
2009 - Master of Arts in Stabilization and Reconstruction, Naval Postgraduate School, Calif.
2012 - Air War College (correspondence)
2014 - Master of Science in National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School, National Defense University
1. August 1995 - November 1995, Officer Trainee, Officer Training School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2. December 1995 - June 1999, Project Manager, Air Force Pentagon Communications Agency, The Pentagon, Va.
3. July 1999 - September 1999, Student, USAF Special Investigations Academy, Andrews AFB, Md.
4. October 1999 - July 2000, Special Agent, AFOSI Detachment 201, Langley AFB, Va.
5. July 2000 - September 2001, Plans and Requirements/Operations, AFOSI Region 2, Langley AFB, Va.
6. September 2001 - June 2003, Commander, AFOSI Detachment 212, Shaw AFB, S.C.
7. July 2003 - July 2005, OSI Advisor to 34 TRW, 34th Training Wing, USAF Academy, Colo.
8. August 2005 - June 2008, Commander, AFOSI Detachment 411, Sheppard AFB, Texas
9. July 2008 - September 2009, Student, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
10. December 2009 – December 2010, Chief, Coordination and Engagement, HQ ISAF-Stability, Kabul, Afghanistan
11. April 2011 - July 2013, Vice Commander, AFOSI Region 7, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
12. August 2013 - June 2014, Student, Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Washington. D.C.
13. July 2014 – July 2017, Commander, AFOSI Region 8, Peterson AFB, Colo.
14. July 2017 – July 2019, Commander, U.S. Air Force Special Investigations Academy, Glynco, Ga.
15. August 2019 – July 2021, Commander, AFOSI Investigations Collections Operations Nexus Center, Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.
16. July 2021 – May 2023, Vice Commander, AFOSI, Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.
17. May 2023 - Present, Commander, AFOSI, Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal
Joint Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
Army Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
AFOSI Senior Officer Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award – 2006
AFOSI Medium Detachment of the Year – 2007
Outstanding Thesis – NPS 2009
Tiger of the Year – Eisenhower School 2014
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant November 1995
First Lieutenant November 1997
Captain November 1999
Major February 2006
Lieutenant Colonel March 2010
Colonel October 2014
(Current as of May 2023)