OSI accepts applications for civilian special agent positions from experienced law-enforcement personnel and from inexperienced college graduates looking for entry-level positions.
The following position(s) currently available:
VACANCY (None at this time.)
Most entry level positions filled through Developmental or vacancy announcements will be filled at the GL-7 pay grade. These positions are attainable without law-enforcement experience, provided the applicant meets the minimum qualifications required for the 1811 series set forth by OPM. Successful candidates possess at least a bachelor's degree with a GPA of 2.95 or better. Additional consideration is given to those individuals who have degrees or experience in special skill areas: languages, forensic or computer sciences, accounting, finance and foreign area specialty. Anyone hired into a GS-12 or above position must have criminal investigations experience at the grade level identified in the specific vacancy announcement.
Vacancy announcements are posted at the "VACANCY" link(s) above, when they are open. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered. If there is not currently a vacancy announcement posted, please continue to check this site for vacancy announcements to learn more about the duties, locations, qualifications, and application procedures.
If there is an announcement posted, please pay particular attention to the section labeled "QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED" because it explains the criteria an applicant must satisfy to qualify for the position. Applicants should ensure their resume explains their qualifications for the position. Also, almost all agent positions require employees to sign a worldwide mobility agreement. Employee duty location is based on the needs of the Air Force. Finally, anyone who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence is automatically disqualified from being appointed to a position requiring the possession of a firearm or ammunition.
Before applying, applicants are encouraged to read Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for answers to the most common questions regarding the application process. If, after viewing the FAQ, you require more information, send questions via e-mail to AFOSI-Civilian-Recru@us.af.mil.
Applicants must submit all required documents or they will not be considered for the position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: There is no "application package" to be obtained. As explained in the "HOW TO APPLY" section within each vacancy announcement, your application must consist of the following:
· Cover sheet in the required format (provided within each vacancy announcement).
· Resume in the required format (provided within each vacancy announcement).
· Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment (link also provided in vacancy announcements).
· AFOSI Agency Questionnaire (click link here to obtain a copy) Required for all vacancy announcements.
· Other documents as applicable to each applicant (i.e. college transcript, DD Form 214, etc.).
OSI internships are available through the Air Force Premier College Intern Program (PCIP). College students enrolled in a full-time baccalaureate program or a full-time master’s program may be eligible for a 12 week paid internship (GS-05) during the summer just prior to their college graduation. Applicants must apply through USAjobs.gov website when the public notice is posted. The application window is usually open from early September through late October each year, but actual dates may vary.
Basic eligibility criteria for PCIP:
(1) Currently enrolled, and in good academic standing (minimum 2.95 cumulative GPA) in a full-time program, at a public or other non-profit institution of higher education; AND
(2) Making satisfactory progress toward receipt of a baccalaureate or master’s degree;
(3) Must be on schedule to complete bachelor’s/master’s degree no later than June 30 following their internship.
PLEASE NOTE: There is no flexibility in the above education requirements; PCIP applicants must be currently enrolled in a full-time college program.
- US Citizenship
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Must pass rigorous background investigation
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
OSI PCIP interns may be non-competitively converted to a permanent appointment within the PALACE Acquire (PAQ) program. The target grade of the conversion will be GL-07. However, it is important to remember that eligibility for conversion does not guarantee the applicant will be offered a permanent position, and applicants must meet all the OSI PAQ eligibility requirements to be considered for conversion.
If you have questions about the PCIP and/or recruiting events, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org