Office of Special Investigations (OSI) Special Agents are a mix of active duty officer and enlisted personnel, civilians, and reservists who share a common desire, to serve their country as a member of the Department of the Air Force’s premier investigative agency. To defend our country and safeguard its interests, OSI agents travel the world to protect the people and resources of the Department of the Air Force. Being an OSI civilian Special Agent is one of the most challenging and fulfilling careers in National Security. OSI Special Agents receive elite training, travel the globe and operate throughout the full spectrum of federal law enforcement and counterintelligence mission sets.
As a condition of employment, all civilian Special Agents are required to sign a mobility agreement. This may result in one or more overseas moves and periodic assignments within the Continental United States. Special Agent mobility is necessary to accomplish the agency's mission and helps support individual career development.
OSI ACCEPTS APPLICATIONS FOR CIVILIAN SPECIAL AGENT POSITIONS FROM:
- Experienced law-enforcement and counterintelligence personnel
- Inexperienced college graduates looking for entry-level positions
- *College students as a part of the intern program
Most entry level positions will be filled at the GL-7 pay grade. These positions are attainable without law-enforcement experience, provided the applicant meets the minimum qualifications required for the 1811 series set forth by OPM. Successful candidates possess at least a bachelor's degree with a GPA of 2.95 or better. Additional consideration is given to those individuals who have degrees or experience in special skill areas: cyber skills, languages, forensics, accounting, finance, counterintelligence and foreign area specialties. Anyone hired into a GS-13 or above position must have experience identified in the specific vacancy announcement.
*Learn more about OSI's entry-level and intern program by clicking the links below or visiting our FAQ page.
Palace Acquire Program (PAQ) (Entry-Level Special Agent Positions)
Premier College Internship Program (PCIP)
- Must not have reached 37 years of age (exceptions are preference eligible veterans and those currently covered under the 6C Federal Law Enforcement retirement system).
- Must be a U.S. born or naturalized U.S. citizen.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must pass all phases of the hiring process, including psychological evaluation, medical exam, drug test, and extensive background investigation.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top-Secret clearance and pass a polygraph.
- Must sign a mobility agreement.
- Competitive candidates for the position of Special Agent will have at a minimum a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
For an overview of the Special Agent hiring process click here.
As a condition of employment, Special Agent trainees must successfully complete the Criminal Investigator’s Training Program (CITP) and OSI’s Basic Special Investigators Course (BSIC) at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, Georgia. If a newly hired special agent has previously completed the CITP with another agency, they will not be required to attend again. However, the OSI course will be required.
PHYSICAL EFFICIENCY BATTERY (PEB)
Special Agents are required to successfully complete the Physical Efficiency Battery (PEB) administered by FLETC. Please click here to read more.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must submit all required documents in accordance to the instructions in the vacancy announcement posted or they will not be considered for the position. There is no "application package" to be obtained. Within each vacancy announcement, your application must consist of the following:
- Resume in the required format (provided within each vacancy announcement). (Click link here for FEDERAL RESUME TIPS.)
- OSI Agency Questionnaire. (Click link here for OSI Questionnaire)
- Other documents as applicable to each applicant and described in vacancy announcement (i.e. college transcript, DD Form 214, etc.)
If there is not currently a vacancy announcement posted, please continue to check USAJobs using the key word AFOSI or request to be added to our email notification distribution list. Email AFOSI-Civilian-Recru@us.af.mil to be added.
Before applying, applicants are encouraged to read Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for answers to the most common questions regarding the application process. If, after viewing the FAQ, you require more information, send questions via e-mail to AFOSI-Civilian-Recru@us.af.mil.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Not quite ready to apply, but would like more information about a career with OSI? Please check out our OSI Mission Video, follow us on our LinkedIn Recruiting Page or listen to our recruiting podcast. You can also visit our Recruiting Toolbox. If you have any questions please send our team of Special Agents your questions at AFOSI-Civilian-Recru@us.af.mil.